Maria being a passionate organic type of person, would purchase humongous quantities of spinach fresh from the open door markets and boil it, occasionally adding more water.
She did this until the volume was substantially reduced and the water became deep green.
The spinach was then put in a covered frying pan to cook slowly at a low flame and for a long time with lots of garlic, a pinch of salt and some olive oil. When the spinach became stringy and the garlic golden, the spinach was ready to accompany meat.
The spinach was extremely good but Maria probably also destroyed all nutrients from it.
Maria then used the green water left behind from boiling the spinach and with a pinch of salt used it to boil the spaghetti.
The cooked spaghetti turned out green. She would then dress them with tomato sauce and sprinkle them with Parmigiano Reggiano.
She was a very patriotic gal and liked her display of pasta to symbolize the Tricolore.
• Her friend Chiara used beets as a great source to coloring the pasta reddish/pink.
• Silvia the friendly neighbor on the other hand, liked black pasta, and so she made her Pasta Nera by pouring squid or at times cuttlefish ink in the water.
Silvia would tell us that “Pasta Nera will be blacker with more ink in the water and it is best served with shellfish.”
Ingredients: for 1 person
• In a frying pan place butter or oil as desired
• Pour 21 spoonfuls of egg whites
• Sprinkle Parmigiano Reggiano
• Sprinkle desired amount of crushed Cheez-Its
• Sprinkle desired amount of pepper
• Cook until the egg whites turn yellowish/brown on the edges
• Serve with chef’s approval parsley
• Place a couple of Cheez-Its as a focal point
This dish can be a bit salty.
Less crumbs of Cheeze-Its will make it less salty and
make the lunar craters in the egg whites more visible.
Serve with desired type of red wine.
Mix concrete as outlined on the bag and make some cookie droppings on wax paper.
While wet, embed dark chocolate chips.
As an option, when the cookies are dry, chocolate chips can
be painted on them.
Chips can also be of small brown rocks, marbles, etc.
This is a non caloric snack for a rigorous diet.
Serve the cookies dry with an optional glass of milk.